JETS is a technical college and high school that gives young Jewish men the tools with which to lead productive, fulfilling lives, through a well-balanced program of Judaic studies, vocational training and recreational activities. By celebrating individuality in a positive and supportive environment, JETS enables each student to discover his own unique strengths, helps him set goals accordingly and provides the educational opportunities for him to pursue his dreams and aspire to the heights of his potential.
“Educate a child according to his way; even when he grows old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)
In an innovative and refreshing departure from the “one-size-fits-all” approach of the conventional Yeshivah system, JETS offers students with perhaps more worldly inclinations a chance to develop career/vocational skills while continuing to pursue their Torah studies in a warm, accepting, individualized and spiritually nurturing environment.
By striking just the right balance between Torah and industry, JETS is proving once and for all that the fact that some of our youth are not cut out for the typical Talmudic seminary schedule need not, and should not, cast them outside the mainstream of the observant community. On the contrary, by providing its students with Torah knowledge, practical skills and a reinforced sense of self, the JETS experience serves to strengthen their bond with their roots, thereby grooming them to become grateful and successful future benefactors and leaders in the Jewish community.
JETS is not about catching kids after they fall, but ensuring that they never fall at all. A young person who appreciates his own value and feels accomplished is destined to succeed.
JETS Digital Booklet
View or download the JETS Digital Booklet — (14.4 MB)
What We Do
The following are some of the avenues through which the JETS vision of “Torah V’avodah” – Torah and industry – are put into action:
- Career/Trade Training: In addition to its own in-house specialty courses, JETS works closely with accredited colleges and occupational training centers in the area. Among the vocational training and certification courses offered are: Business management, marketing, real estate, computer technology, electronics, aviation, plumbing and refrigeration, carpentry, graphic design and publishing, welding, craftsmanship and emergency medicine. (For a more detailed menu of courses, click on the Academics tab.)
- Life Skills: To ensure maximum functionality and success in both the work place and at home, JETS offers its students general Life Skills training in areas such as: time management, financial planning and general organization.
- Academic Education: JETS provides courses for those students who desire a high school equivalency diploma or those who require introductory or refresher courses in certain basics. This program includes full preparation for the HiSet exams.
- Jewish Education: The JETS approach to Torah education is to instill within its students a passion for Judaism and the wisdom, understanding and knowledge to back it up. The Rebbes and counselors are warm, dynamic, patient and friendly individuals who not only instruct, but also mentor. Whether it’s deciphering complex Talmudic logic, analyzing Jewish law, journeying through Jewish history or exploring the roots of faith as expounded upon in Chassidic philosophy, lively debate and discussion are welcomed and encouraged. Lessons are designed to foster depth of understanding and an awareness of their relevance and application to everyday life.
- “Farbrengens” and Community Outreach: Torah concepts are brought further to life through periodic “Farbrengens” – informal gatherings spiced with singing, stories and introspection – usually held upon special occasions on the Jewish calendar. Students are also encouraged to participate in outreach programs, sharing the joy of the mitzvot and inspiration of the holidays with members of the local community, especially the lonely and the disillusioned.
- Remedial Tutoring: For students who may experience difficulty keeping pace with the regular courses of studies, JETS offers one-on-one tutoring in both Judaic and secular studies. With its low staff-to-student ratio, the faculty members at JETS are vigilant about seeing to it that no student ever falls too far behind to where he loses his interest or motivation.
- Extracurricular & Recreational Activities: Recognizing that young people need constructive outlets for physical activity and recreation, JETS provides a fully- equipped, state-of-the-art physical fitness center and an Olympic-sized swimming pool on campus. Other recreational activities include: music, martial arts, field trips, weekend retreats and overnight camping trips.
Dr. Bernard Lander *, Founder and President of Touro College
Dr. Bernard Luskin, President and CEO at Moorpark College
Dr. Simcha Fishbane, Executive Assistant To the President Touro College
Dr. Robert J. Rome Ph.D., Psychological Consultant
Dennis B. Doherty, Founder ProData Corporation
Dr. Michael Hamlin, Director of Institutional Research and Professor, Touro University Worldwide
Dr. Toni Thomas Luskin, Professor, Media, Psychology and Education
Leonid Shaposhnik, President of Shapo Performance Group Inc.
Ira D. Handelman, President of Handelman Consulting, Inc.